Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Santana keeps coming up in the Star Trib

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/16484546.html
I have always enjoyed Joe Christensen's articles and his blog on Startribune.com, but I really must say that this article bothered and irked me quite a bit this morning. I don't understand why Minnesota sports authors and fans need to play this "Minnesota Nice" card all the time. Johan Santana left the Twins on bad terms, in my humble opinion. The guy turned down what was the richest contract in Minnesota Twins history, what was reported as 5 years at 100 million dollars. This was an incredible offer from Pohlad (the Twins 96 year old owner) and he should be commended for making the serious attempt at keeping Johan in a Twins uniform. But Johan was incredibly greedy and wanted 7 years and over 150 million dollars. This never truly bodes well for any MLB team in sports history. See Kevin Brown with the L.A. Dodgers, or Mike Hampton. These guys were given huge contracts and never came close to the contract that they received. This was just a smart baseball decision not to sign Johan to a 7 year deal. I am sure Johan will be a great if not the best pitcher in the National League, probably winning many Cy Young awards, but he will not be great for 7 years, and was just not worth that kind of commitment from the Twins.

But back to the thing that irked me this morning as I was reading the Star Trib online as I always do. Joe does not need to point out on a regular basis how great Johan is, and how much he is going to help the New York Mets, and how they are now the team to beat in the NL. Come on, most real Twins fans are distraught and upset even now talking about Johan. I know, I am one, especially the day after he pitched a great game against the Red Sox. But we need to move on as Twins fans, and continuing to publish stories about him in the Trib is not a way to move on.

No comments: